Recipe: Three Sons Signature Barbeque Sauce
1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
½ Cup Cider Vinegar
¼ Cup Molasses
¼ Cup Honey
¼ Cup Worcestershire Sauce
1 ½ Tbsp. Dijon Mustard
1 Tbsp. Liquid Smoke
1 Tbsp. Chili Powder
1 Tbsp. Ground Black Pepper
2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 tsp. Ground Allspice
¼ tsp. Ground Cloves
4 Cups Ketchup
Salt and Pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients, except for the ketchup, in a 2-quart sauce pan. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly, until all ingredients have dissolved. Stir in ketchup and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer (uncovered) for about 30 minutes or until the sauce thickens and has dark smoky flavor. Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
Chef Ben’s Best Barbeque Tips are…
1. Brine or marinade your meats overnight before grilling to flavor & tenderize your meats (Simple brine – 5 parts water to 1 part vinegar)
2. Use lower flame when grilling (especially when using sauces with higher sugar content – they will burn)
3. Reserve some of your (unused) marinade for basting the proteins as they cook it is a secondary source of flavor.
4. Braise or pre-roast proteins that have bones in them (so that they won’t get over charred while waiting for them to finish cooking on the grill)
5. Always have an ice beverage to keep you cool and in the BBQ mood.